5:16 Club
March 28, 2024, 09:03:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

4/23 Discuss Habakkuk 1:5-11 here!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4/23 Discuss Habakkuk 1:5-11 here!  (Read 1410 times)
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2009, 06:47:50 am »

Hey girls...I got sick again last night (go figure) and am late getting things going here this morning.  Please read what I wrote in the administrator area when you get a chance - basically, I need help!

I will have some more questions later, but for now, list as many things as you can about the Babylonians (Chaldeans).  How does God describe them?  How is He going to use them?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:24:14 am by sarahmae » Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:58 am »

I'm back...am I "talking" to myself here?  Come on girls!  Persevere with this study! I promise there is much to be gained!

Okay, here is my list describing the Babylonians:

They are...
Very powerful
Ruthless
Impetuous (characterized by sudden or rash action, emotion, etc.; impulsive: an impetuous decision;moving with great force; violent)
Feared and dreaded
Bent on violence
Lawless
Relying on their strength, which is their god

God is going to use the Babylonians to punish His people. 
"I am raising up the Babylonians..."

Do you think God still uses wicked people/nations to carry out His plans?
Do you think 9/11 was God's punishment towards America?  Why or why not?

Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
Christin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:54:48 pm »

Those are deep questions yet I didn't hesitate to believe that, yes, God very well could have used people to do 9/11 to "wake up America". I wonder if it worked. Personally, I think it's far from over. Sad

I don't think anything happens without God's permission (just read Job). However, satan is the ruler of the world and he kind of has free reign (I say kind of because I just don't know for sure, lol). But I do believe God totally intervenes on some of the devils schemes and turns things into good.
Report Spam   Logged

~Christin
Laurie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:08 pm »

Reading this part, God's reply, really got me thinking of how powerful God truly is. Most of the time I don't think of God in the way that this section portrayed. It is so important that we understand God's power and that truly good things can come out of things that seem so horrible.
As for those questions...I'm not sure how I feel, but they really got me thinking and thats always a good thing! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
AmyS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:49:26 am »

This is kind of random but a friend of mine emailed me her thoughts from a bible study she is doing with a small group... they are studying Habakkuk!  Anyway, really good thoughts here so I thought I'd share what she had to say:

There are two things that stood out to me in the first chapter of Habakkuk. First, is how quick we are to judge and compare people around us and ignore the areas that God is trying to improve in us. Habakkuk knew God hates evil, and asks a lot of the same questions we hear today. If God is good, then why is there evil in the world? And if God hates evil, why do the wicked seem to prosper? Habakkuk learn that God was working out a plan that would use a nation even more wicked to carry out his discipline and it shocked him. Judah had her sin problems yes, but in Habakkuk’s mind she is still better than the Babylonians. It reminded me how off our perception can be of ourselves. They weren’t better in God’s eyes, just their own. We often justify our own sin by comparing ourselves to others, but God holds us to a higher standard, not simply because we have His law like Israel did, but because He gave us His Spirit, and His power to overcome.

The second theme that stood out to me was the subject of questioning God. This I thought about a lot. Martin Lloyd-Jones makes the statement in his commentary on Habakkuk that: “There must be no querying, no questioning, no uncertainty about the goodness and the holiness and power of God.” I feel this is a damaging statement. While I think he was attempting to express that we should have unwavering faith and trust in God’s character he disregards the fact that people (created in God’s image by the way) have emotions and questions. God’s ways are higher than ours, and we don’t understand much, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t seek understanding through questions. We can only come to a certainty Martin Lloyd-Jones insists that we should have about God by asking questions, and pursuing Him through His word.

A lot of times in our Christian world we are taught –sometimes out rightly, sometimes subconsciously- that it is wrong to question God. It is as though there is an underlying belief that a question is contrary to faith, but I think this is an incorrect teaching that cripples people and keeps them from pursuing God because the feel their questions and uncertainties are displeasing to Him. Hebrews says ‘without faith it is impossible to please God,’ and we fear that God will not be pleased with our questions. Questions do not equate to unbelief, the equate to the pursuit of truth. I am encouraged that God answered Habakkuk, and reminded that Hebrews continues to says ‘without faith it is impossible to please God because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him’. We start with a faith IN God and build from there. If you don’t ask the questions how can you discover that God is the answer?

As with all things I think that this issue of asking questions is a matter of the heart. If we approach God with questions that are aimed at justifying our sin, or questioning His sovereignty we error, however when we are honestly approach God about our questions and fears in an effort to know Him more and discover His purpose for us He is able to guide our discovery and build our faith in Him even when specific answers are not supplied. By asking God the questions of our heart we are able to discover Him as the source of all answers. C.S Lewis said. ‘I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice?’
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum