5:16 Club
March 19, 2024, 05:34:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Printable Version for Note-Taking

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printable Version for Note-Taking  (Read 2616 times)
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:09:51 pm »

I have learned to do Bible study on a double-spaced copy of the text.  Being able to take notes with plenty of space is imperative.  I have copied the NIV text into a document that I plan to print and write on, and each verse starts on a new line (I did this for a reason, and if you want an explanation, please let me know!)  Smiley I also included our reading schedule on the first page.  If you would like to print this and use it for yourself, please do! 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:14:47 pm »

Melissa - thank you SO much for this!  A great idea!  I really appreciate all that you are doing and I am grateful for your help!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
sugarmommy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:51 am »

Melissa,

Please do tell why you have the new verses start on a new line. Does it help in understanding somehow? I'm curious now.  Wink Thanks! And thanks for providing the text for us, as well!!
Report Spam   Logged

SugarMommy
TeresaMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:13:39 am »

Printing now!  Thank-you for this Melissa  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tess
mother of 2, teacher of lots!
swatson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:21:35 am »

Thanks Melissa! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:40:15 am »

I'm a little late, but thanks so much, Melissa.  This is very helpful!! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:06:27 am »

The reason I do each verse on a new line is that it forces me to view each verse as its own entity and also to try to connect those verses to surrounding verses without relying on a translation's grouping of sentences and paragraphs.  Some groupings in the Bible are helpful, but sometimes they are somewhat arbitrary, and most of us just accept that certain verses go together when, in fact, they are part of a previous or upcoming thought!  (Remember that the original text did not have paragraphs and actually did not have the punctuation that we do today!  In fact, in the Greek text, 1 John 1 - 4 was a single sentence that we have broken up for ease of reading.)  I have been taught that when we study the Bible we should look to figure out for ourselves when topics have shifted, settings have changed, etc.  Not having paragraphs or topic headings to sway me helps me to look at the text more carefully.

I hope that makes sense!  Thanks for asking! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Angela

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:49:28 am »

Thank you for sharing with us, what an awesome way to study scripture!!

Blessings~ Angela
Report Spam   Logged
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:51:54 am »

It is helpful to look at the verses by themselves. Thank you for doing this for all of us. I took a seminary class at Dallas Theological Seminary this last summer on Bible Study Methods. We had to take Acts 1:8 and come up with 50 observations from JUST the verse. We couldn't use and outside sourse or commentary and it was AMAZING what I learned...then we got to come up with more observations with the verses around it, putting it all in context. It was great! Thanks again!
~BethF
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:19:19 am by BethF » Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:30:05 am »

You're welcome!  Beth, I was taught Bible study methods by a pastor and his wife who both taught at Dallas Theological Seminary.  DTS is phenomenal at teaching this stuff!  Do you live in Dallas now?  We lived there for eight years and just moved to Nashville last February.  I am soooo wishing we had some DTS grads teaching around here!
Report Spam   Logged
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:08:19 am »

No, I actually live in Oklahoma but I was taking a few online classes. What a small world! Smiley My pastor here is a DTS grad and I feel so blessed to have him. I have learned so much!!!
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
suzannej

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:20:11 pm »

I'm way late to the group, but I have done my reading most mornings this week, except when I was sick.  I will catch up over the weekend, I hope.  Thanks for the study help!

Suzanne
Report Spam   Logged
HisBeloved

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50:31 pm »

Thanks for sharing Melissa! I have gotten plenty of encouragement to study the Word but never any suggestions on how. This will be great for helping me to think "outside the box" Cheesy 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum