5:16 Club
March 28, 2024, 04:45:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 1:5-7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 1:5-7  (Read 2289 times)
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:59:40 am »

I am sooo glad you are all sharing your thoughts.  I have taken some of them and added them to my notes so I'll have them in the future.  Great insights.  This is what fellowshipping is all about, huh?

I had so many observations, thoughts, and applications this morning!

First, I LOVE that just as Genesis starts with God in the beginning creating light, John, in both this letter and his gospel, start immediately with Jesus - in the beginning with God - who is light.  All three books start out immediately with God and light, and I know this is not a coincidence.  I just love that John is not only an incredible man and witness, but also a brilliant writer! 

I read something really cool in my ESV study Bible this morning:

"The references to life, light, and darkness continue to draw on Genesis motifs... Against this background Jesus as the "light" brings to this world true knowledge, moral purity, and the light that shows the very presence of God."  (italics mine)

The study Bible pointed me to these verses in Ephesians that I just love:

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
   "Wake up, O sleeper,
    rise from the dead,
    and Christ will shine on you."  (Ephesians 5: 8 - 14)

What I keep seeing over and over is that light brings knowledge of truth and purity.  To walk in the light means that we actively seek truth and live it out in purity ("find out what pleases the Lord").  Such good thoughts!  I can already see how, in my commitment to rise early and seek my Lord these last several weeks, I am living differently and shining brighter.  I am finding out what pleases the Lord and shining light into the dark corners of my heart.  I still mess up, snap at my husband, catch myself being lazy, and do other things that are disobedient, but I'm more aware of them than I was and my heart earnestly desires to change.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum