5:16 Club
March 19, 2024, 03:26:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Discuss, discuss, discuss!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Discuss, discuss, discuss!  (Read 4611 times)
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »

Have questions and/or thoughts regarding 1 John?  Here is the place to post!
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gayle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:41:38 pm »

is there a specific study that we are going to be following or are we just reading and discussing straight from scripture?
Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »

is there a specific study that we are going to be following or are we just reading and discussing straight from scripture?

Did you get the e-mail by chance that had the suggested reading plan? 

If not, let me know and I will get it to you!  I figure that if we study a few verses a day, we can really dig in and investigate.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
Gayle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:36:35 pm »

I didn't - that would probably clarify a lot for me!!  thanks!
Gayle Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Janellybelly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »

I just had to dive into it tonight girls!  I have had pretty icky morning sickness and I figured I would get it read when I was feeling half way decent! 

I LOVED the fact that in (1 John 1:3) John was not only wanting to PROCLAIM Christ to those who didn't know Him, but also to bind those who receive it.  "So you too may have fellowship with us"  And not just relationship with other believers but ultimately a wonderful relationship with the Father and His Son!  I also loved the fact that these "letter/sermons" were a result from the commision he and the other apostles received in Acts 1:8.

I can't wait to read on and learn more about what John had to say.  I have never studies 1 John before.  Thanks for the challenge Sarah!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Kymber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:17:46 am »

Morning Ladies!
I just wanted to comment on a few things that I got from this study today. It must have been so wonderful to be able to stand and proclaim that all that Jesus said would happen was the truth and was verified as such. These people who followed him - who stood by his side when things got really rough, ALL  that they had put their hopes and faith to had come to pass. What joy that must have brought them - and us! To follow a Savior that is always with me  - who is with me eternally - what comfort and strength that brings!
I am reading also from my Matthew Henry commentary and something that stood out for me in my reading is this:
"This communion of believers with the Father and the Son, is begun and kept up by the influences of the Holy Spirit. The benefits Christ bestows, are not like the scanty possessions of the world, causing jealousies in others; but the joy and happiness of communion with God is all-sufficient, so that any number may partake of it; and all who are able to say that their fellowship truly is with the Father, will desire to lead others to experience the same blessedness."

I look forward to this bible study with you dear sisters in Christ!
Kymber
Report Spam   Logged
TeresaMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:22:49 am »

What stood out for me is the "proclaiming" and "testifying". I see these as integral parts of my duty as a mother and as a teacher - to proclaim what I have seen and heard.  I need to share with my children (at home and my bigger ones at school) where I have seen and heard Christ in my daily life.
Report Spam   Logged

Tess
mother of 2, teacher of lots!
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:30:40 am »

Kymber - I too use the Matthew Henry Commentary and love it!  I get so much from his insight!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:02 am »

I love that John is constantly concerned with our continued and strong belief.  Jesus-- we ave heard, we have seen, we have looked at, our hands have touched.  This is true, this is real, we faith can be strong.  He is the Word of Life.  Telling us again and again makes his joy complete.

My husband was talking yesterday about being a witness yesterday.  How timely!

Robin Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:04 am »

A bunch of random observations on 1 John 1:1 - 4 and a question I'm pondering...

John begins his letter much like his gospel: with Jesus in the beginning.  He points out that Christ was with God in the beginning.  He was God and human at the same time.

I counted 29 uses of first-person plural in chapter 1.  John wants everyone to know it was an eyewitness account.  This is typical of John to want to prove to everyone that he was there, but in this letter it is obvious that he is trying to let everyone know that he saw and experienced Jesus firsthand. 

It is popular to believe that John was responding to gnostism, a belief that "knowledge" was the answer.  Some gnostics debated that Jesus was just an apparition and didn't actually exist in human form.  We can't prove that he was responding to the gnostics, but he was definitely dealing with some kind of schism in the church.  Note that he pointed out so many uses of his senses: heard, seen, eyes, looked at, hands have touched, seen, seen, heard...  He really wants us to know that he was there!  The only senses he didn't mention were irrelevant (tasting and smelling)! 

The purpose of the letter is spelled out in vs. 3 and 4:  to promote fellowship and to promote joy.  And that brings me to my question: Why did John say that writing this would make his joy complete?  Why did he use the word complete?  It seems to me like sharing the gospel would make joy more full, but I feel like joy can't be complete until we are in Heaven!  Thoughts??
Report Spam   Logged
RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:54 am »

On joy complete--

In John 15:11 Jesus says,

"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full."

And in John 16:24

"Until now you have asked for nothing in My name;  ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be made full."

Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:56:12 am »

Maybe the joy is complete on earth?

Report Spam   Logged

BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:20 am »

I love how John makes Christ real! I love how he gives credibility in such a humble way, not pridefully in that he actually knew Christ, but reminding those who knew Him to proclaim Him. We may not know Christ in a physical relationship, but we get to have that same relationship with Him! And its not just for us. Sometimes I see people get so "clique-ish" in their faith. They don't want to have anything to do with non-believers b/c of their life-style. I have to remind myself that my salvation and relationship with Christ isn't JUST for me!!! Its for everyone! Who am I to keep it all to myself? He is their Savior too!!! I have to remind myself that non-believers' actions are normal b/c they don't live by the Bible. Why should they? They live only by their flesh and I should not be shocked at the decisions they make. I should love them and serve them no matter what. We have the same assurance of eternal life that John talks about. We get to share that with others. And, not only with non-believers, but with believers as well. When we come together and share what God is teaching us and share in our faith, we have fellowship with each other. Our faith isn't something just for us and to be kept a secret...its for the world to know. Not to shove in their faces, but to let them see who Christ truly is by loving them and serving them as He did. One of my favorite verses is John 3:17 and it says, "For God did not send the Son to the world to condenm the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." So in following Christ's example, we shouldn't be condenming the non-believers....we should be loving and serving and sharing the Truth as Christ did.

The fellowship that we have with Christ and other believers will give us full joy! What is full joy? I am sure it looks different on this earth than it does in heaven b/c we still battle with our flesh....however, the bible promises full joy, so we have to take it at its word and know that its truth! We may not know exactly what it means, but we can trust that its a promise God will faithfully keep. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:18:30 am by BethF » Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:32:01 am »

"I have to remind myself that non-believers' actions are normal b/c they don't live by the Bible. Why should they? They live only by their flesh and I should not be shocked at the decisions they make."

AMEN!
Report Spam   Logged

MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:40 am »

I am really blessed by some of you who have shared your applications today.  Thank you!!!  Sharing this study with everyone is such a gift to me.  And thanks for everyone who has written about complete joy.  I do believe it, I am just trying to understand the use of the word.  I'll keep thinking about it and researching it.  Thanks for the references in John.  Those were helpful!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum