5:16 Club
March 29, 2024, 01:06:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Discuss, discuss, discuss!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discuss, discuss, discuss!  (Read 4617 times)
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:28 am »

Hey Melissa! I love your insight as well...I was re-reading what you wrote ("It seems to me like sharing the gospel would make joy more full, but I feel like joy can't be complete until we are in Heaven!") and had a thought. I wonder if the "joy" John is speaking of is specific to sharing the gospel....and that in doing that we have full or complete joy in that....no matter what the person's response to the gospel is. I wonder if we are taking the word "joy" to a fuller meaning than just sharing the gospel. Since we won't have to share the gospel in heaven the only place for us to have complete joy in that is while we are here. So, maybe the joy he is speaking of is specifically to witnessing....which, when we know that people don't reject US, but are rejecting God I can see how sharing His gospel would bring complete joy! We are being obedient to what He has asked us to do.
What do you think about that? Anyone have thoughts on it? It was just something I thought of as I was looking back at your comments....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:09:08 am by BethF » Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
swatson

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:12 pm »

In 1 John 1:1-4, the verbs stuck out to me: heard, seen, looked at, touched, testify, proclaim.

I remember when I first HEARD the gospel of Jesus Christ!
I remember when I SAW His love and forgiveness for me -and how it TOUCHED my life, my heart, my mind...
I remember LOOKING at others that knew Christ and SEEING a difference. I was seeing Christ working in them and I desired what they had. 
I desired that relationship with God, which I have found through his Son, Jesus Christ!
The main theme of this epistle is fellowship with God.

I know that I was not an eyewitness during the actual years of Christ's life, death, resurrection, and ascension, but I can bear witness to the Word of God holding true, impacting my life and others, compelling me to TESTIFY and PROCLAIM who Christ is, what he has done, and what he's doing in my life today!

There are so many nonbelievers in my family and I have cried a million tears over their hardened hearts. 
I pray that they will all come into a relationship with Christ one day.  I can just imagine it- my heart will absolutely explode with JOY!

When someone comes into a relationship with Christ and you see Christ working in their lives- I believe that completes our joy here on earth.  Also, when a believer who has wandered from God - returns - our hearts REJOICE (to make joyful; gladden).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:58:13 pm by swatson » Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 04:16:08 pm »

In 1 John 1:1-4, the verbs stuck out to me: heard, seen, looked at, touched, testify, proclaim.

I remember when I first HEARD the gospel of Jesus Christ!
I remember when I SAW His love and forgiveness for me -and how it TOUCHED my life, my heart, my mind...
I remember LOOKING at others that knew Christ and SEEING a difference. I was seeing Christ working in them and I desired what they had. 
I desired that relationship with God, which I have found through his Son, Jesus Christ!
The main theme of this epistle is fellowship with God.

I know that I was not an eyewitness during the actual years of Christ's life, death, resurrection, and ascension, but I can bear witness to the Word of God holding true, impacting my life and others, compelling me to TESTIFY and PROCLAIM who Christ is, what he has done, and what he's doing in my life today!

There are so many nonbelievers in my family and I have cried a million tears over their harden hearts. 
I pray that they will all come into a relationship with Christ one day.  I can just imagine it- my heart will absolutely explode with JOY!

When someone comes into a relationship with Christ and you see Christ working in their lives- I believe that completes our joy here on earth.  Also, when a believer who has wandered from God - returns - our hearts REJOICE (to make joyful; gladden).

1 John is John's testimony.  Our lives and what Christ has done by all the things you mentioned is our testimony - how powerful!
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
sugarmommy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 07:31:49 am »

My initial thoughts, based on verses 3 & 4, are that our joy comes through our fellowship with Christ and other believers, both here on earth and then more fully in Heaven. We cannot fellowship with other believers if we do not talk about Christ and our relationship with Him. We cannot bring non-believers to Christ without sharing His love and grace with them, and therefore will not be able to fellowship with them and experience the joy that comes with fellowshipping with other believers. Therefore I think that the point of verse 4  "We write this to make our joy complete" is that proclaiming the Truth to others enables us to fellowship with other believers, which leads to fellowship with Christ, which is the source of all joy.

Am I making any sense here?

If not, I apologize...the coffee is running low and the kids are getting up and I'm a little distracted! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

SugarMommy
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:24 am »

I found the answer to my question about "joy complete."  The word complete, in Greek, means to fulfill or abound.  So it means that the joy will overflow, not that it will be finished (which is how I was interpreting it).  That makes total sense to me.  Thanks for your thoughts!!!

PS - I found the Greek definition in the NetBible.  I don't speak or read Greek!   Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 12:14:25 pm »

Awesome! Thanks for finding that....and for the source! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
Angela

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 08:23:48 am »

You ladies are amazing!!

I have not done a lot of study of just scripture and this is so encouraging and powerful!

Thanks SarahMae for arranging this organized study!

Blessings~ Angela
Report Spam   Logged
Trisha

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:31 pm »

I just wanted to mention that the last few weeks have been hugely challenging for me and my family.  Son, broken hand from sledding.  Husband, working 2 jobs.  Daughter, well a joy and delight! Me, sick for a couple weeks. Family visiting from out of state.  As well as a death in our community of a dear dear young man.  Well, getting up with the right start has been hard.  BUT...as a family we have been studying John.  We have really grown through this time together, not quite so early; about 8am.  But hey I think the Spirit has touched my family.  I for one am thankfull for this special time we have had! Thanks, Sara Mae!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum