5:16 Club
April 19, 2024, 11:05:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 1:8-10

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 1:8-10  (Read 1367 times)
BethF

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »

I am still working through my notes before I post anything, but wanted to start a new post for today's reading so we can all discuss. Its been so encouraging to read what all of you have to say and gain new insight! I am blessed to have found this group!!! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:13:59 pm »

If we claim to have no sin, then we claim to have no need for a Savior....which makes Christ unnecessary! We ARE sinners in need of forgiveness.

To confess sin means to agree with God that we are missing the mark...that we are not living up to His perfect standard. Confess is to admit we have sin and that we need His mercy. I think something major to point out is that this confession of sin has nothing to do with salvation. John's audience is believers, so they are already saved. Justification is our eternal salvation, which takes place the moment we believe....we have secured our eternal state with our Savior...its a one time event. The confessing of sin John is speaking of here is for our sanctification...which is the believer's spiritual growth. Our sanctification is day in and day out! Its every moment!!! When we deny sin, we break that fellowship with God and it interrupts our spiritual growth and relationship with God.

We have the assurance that He will give us forgiveness and cleanse us. He is faithful to His promises.

Most importantly....if we deny that we have sin in our lives, then we deny that God's Word is changing our lives.
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
AmyS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:24:19 pm »

I read this in a commentary related to these verses:

"All who walk near to God, in holiness and righteousness, are sensible that their best days and duties are mixed with sin. God has given testimony to the sinfulness of the world, by providing a sufficient, effectual Sacrifice for sin, needed in all ages; and the sinfulness of believers themselves is shown, by requiring them continually to confess their sins, and to apply by faith to the blood of that Sacrifice."

I think that the longer we have a relationship with Christ the easier it is to forget the power of the cross not only to bring us into a relationship with God but also for the daily cleansing of our sins.  What freedom there is, though, in verse 9: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  Now that's grace!
Report Spam   Logged
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:02:07 am »

This verses tug at my heart.  I think what stands out to me most is the need for humility before the Lord.  I know that humility and confession aren't the same thing, but it seems to me that they go hand-in-hand.  I have an important person in my life who can't admit to mistakes.  She simply hates to admit that she's wrong and will lie to cover inadequacies.  The reasons she does this are complicated.  It drives me crazy on a personal level in the way it affects me and others I love, but it drives me more crazy on a spiritual level, knowing that if she cannot admit her mistakes to people, she is likely to struggle with admitting her sin to God.  And I think it speaks of her lack of security in salvation and forgiveness to be so deathly afraid of being wrong.  It hurts my heart.

I know I can't fix other people, and I am not trying to apply these verses to someone else.  In fact, seeing this example in someone else's life just pushes me to be more humble before God and others and admit that I am painfully imperfect.  Actually, the person I am speaking of would probably admit to that, just nothing specific, so it also reminds me of how important it is to admit to the little things: to tell God and my husband that I am sorry I messed up when I snapped, to tell God I know I messed up when I wished the handsome man at the restaurant would notice me, to apologize to God when I act prideful, etc.  I know those things are wron,g and I feel guilt and conviction, but I rarely confess that sin to God. 

I want to focus on hope and forgiveness without spending every minute of my life trying to recall my sin.  I doubt that is what He wants for us.  But when God brings my sin into the light by convicting my heart, I need to be more conscious about admitting it and asking for forgiveness.  I take that forgiveness for granted...
Report Spam   Logged
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:22 am »

Good morning Amy and Melissa! What awesome insight you both brought this morning. I just wanted to say that it encouraged me! I thank you for your honesty and and passion for the Word!
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
m.curran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:52:22 am »

What stood out to me was the last part of verse 10 that says "His word has no place in our lives" because I see such truth in this statement.  When I am in the Word every day and in my fellowship with Christ, I am constantly convicted of my sin, but when I am struggling with my quiet time, I often don't recognize my sin since "His word" is not speaking to my heart.  It is so clear in this passage that this is how God designed us to be... He designed us with a need to be in fellowship with Him through His word and that without it, we are deceived by ourselves, the world, Satan, etc. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum