5:16 Club
March 19, 2024, 03:34:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 2:3-6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 2:3-6  (Read 1900 times)
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:40 pm »

This passage is pretty darn clear! 

If we claim to be Christians, but we continue to sin intentionally (not just fall into it, repent, and move forward in His grace), then we are liars and are not Chrsitians.

Wow.

It is not advice that we walk as Jesus did - we are commanded too, and if we don't it is a sign that we are not in Him, and therefore He is not in us.

I think this is really important because in this day and age there is a growing incomplete gospel that only focuses on the love of God and what God can do for you.  People are being deceived and coming to God for the wrong reasons, so to speak.  It makes me think of the message "Hell's Best Kept Secret" by Ray Comfort.  If you've not heard it, here is the link:

http://www.livingwaters.com/learn/hellsbestkeptsecret.htm

It really impacted me and took me into a deeper understanding of my God, my faith, and why grace is so amazing.
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

John didn't leave us a lot of wiggle room here, did he? 

Such a hard word, but still so encouraging!  If I don't keep His commands then I am not in him.  I have not truly come to know Him.

But, if I do keep His commands it is a clear sign to myself and others that the Holy Spirit is working in me.  I am in Him and I will be coming to know Him better and better.  More and more fully!

How exciting!

RobinM
Report Spam   Logged
m.curran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:55:15 am »

"I think this is really important because in this day and age there is a growing incomplete gospel that only focuses on the love of God and what God can do for you." 

I completely agree Sarah Mae... in fact, my husband and I are really struggling to find a church home for this very reason.  (Hmm... Probably should add that to the prayer list.)  So many pastors have abandoned teaching the Bible... instead sermons are very antidotal and "feel good" messages...  All about what is in it for you and not all about how to know Christ and serve Him out of love and devotion (even during the difficult times.) 
Anyway, it is difficult to be a Christian in today's society (though probably just as difficult as in the time this passage was written) because everyone has an opinion on how a Christian ought to act, what they should look like, how they should talk, etc., but ultimately one's salvation is not based on any of these things and only on one's belief in Him and that can't always be seen.  However, when I read this passage, I am definitely convicted to know that my walk DOES matter and that my fellowship with Him and testimony to the world are dependent on keeping His commands.
Report Spam   Logged
Lisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:20:11 am »

Ooh, conviction ... it burns!!!

This passage really made me look at MY life.  Am I knowingly sinning?  I struggle with my tongue SO much!  Why?  Why can't I move past this sin?  I do it.  Realize it as I'm saying devastating words.  Then I confess and ask for forgiveness.  My desire is to truly repent of this gossip sin.  I want to be useful in building up the Lord's kingdom, not tearing it down.

Is this the type of behavior that is making me in a liar.  Can God not live in me?  Am I abominable to Him?  I mean, I know what I am doing, and I do it anyway.

John's words are so clear.  This does not leave room for much interpretation, and yet, it's as if 1 John is the epistle that has been lost in churches.  Only the "crazies" would believe this and follow these commands.  The apathy around us is disgusting, and also frustrating because I see it penetrating my friends and family.  I'm recovering of it myself.  It is definitely a blessing to be able to surround myself with you and your wisdom and insights, build up and strengthen my defenses, so that I am able to get "back out there" and fight!
Report Spam   Logged
HisBeloved

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:05:20 pm »

When you read of the old preachers or missionaries, the cry of their hearts was the same as David's, "Search my heart and see if there be any wicked way in me." Now the cry of the church is "Don't even think about pointing a finger at what I'm doing. It's all by grace and God understands." Are we under grace? Yes. If not for grace, we would have no salvation. The Bible says we are saved by grace through faith. But we are not to live our lives shielded from the responsibility of living a life of righteousness by the covering of "grace". God's grace is supposed to lead us to repentance and a life of service, not to give us a heart filled with self-importance and the license to do whatever you want knowing that God has to forgive you, regardless of whether our sin was premeditated or not.

The other thing that really hit was that we either know him or we don’t. There is no middle ground option. And there is no room for “well, I’m just having a bad day.” Yes, we will make mistakes and we will sin, and for when we do, vss. 1-2 covers us. I don't think that it was a mistake that John took the time at the end of chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2 to assure us that we are forgiven. But don’t make plans to sin. Make plans to serve and let God forgive the sin when it comes. There is such a difference in the heart there. One say, "I can, and I will" and the other says, "God can through me and He will cover my insufficiencies."

Thanks Ladies for the great comments so far. I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and what God is showing them. Keep up the encouragement and even like today's, the conviction. Both are equally needed. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
AmyS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:29:26 pm »

Vs. 6 "He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked." NKJV

I agree that we, as Christians, have become so good at justifying sin in our lives.  I find myself thinking more about God's grace and less about his justice.  The fact is that he is as just as he is gracious.  If we are truly abiding (to remain; continue; stay ) in Him we will live the same kind of life He did.  Wow. How far I am from that!  John 15:4 says "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me."  We cannot be like him ("walk just as he walked") if we are not abiding in him.  Thank you, ladies, for helping keep me accountable and challenging me to abide in Him daily.

Report Spam   Logged
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:34 am »

Not only can we know Christ through Salvation, we also get to know Him and experience Him in a relationship....intimately! WOW! I love that God wants to have a relationship with me. He already knows every in and out of my being yesterday, today and tomorrow...and now He wants me to know Him!

I think the main thing that stood out to me in these verses is that lying is a sin. It doesn't say that if you say you know Him and don't keep His commandments, then you do not belong to Him. It says you are a liar. Lying is a sin that can be forgiven! John is speaking of having a relationship with Christ not our salvation. He is saying that if I claim to KNOW Christ as He knows me, but I am not actively seeking Him and experiencing Him and studying His Word and keeping it, then I am lying to others. However, the exciting thing that John then brings up is that if we DO have that initimacy with God, His love will be perfected in me! That is exaclty what I want. I want God's love to be perfected in me...that way I can share Him with others for effectively and love my family the way He does and see others through His eyes and not the world's. When I know Him, I desire more to live like Him.
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
swatson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:22:41 am »

I so want to know Him more AND make Him known. (Is. 26:Cool

I am motivated by love and gratitude to want to know more of Him and spend time with him. 
Fellowshipping with Him increases my knowledge of Him, and as I grow in knowledge of God, I want to spend even more time with Him.  I can't get enough of Him and I'm always learning wonderful truths about his character and his love. 

I want to serve Him and the Holy Spirit encourages me to obey his commands.  The Holy Spirit can bring to the forfront of our minds - those truths about God, to help us obey...actually start changing our desires to be like his desires for our lives.  That's when we get to experience vs 5 - the part about God's love is truly made complete in him (in us). 

We have been saved (justification), we are being saved (sanctification), and we will be saved (glorification). 
John is speaking to believers - they have been justified.  Now he's speaking to them about their sanctification - the living their lives out part where they get to grow in their knowledge of God, experience Him, and fellowship with Him intimately here on earth.  He telling them not to be liars, which is sin and sin breaks our fellowship with Christ (not to be confused with our salvation).
John's desire is for believers to abide (vs. 6 "live in") in Christ.  Whoever abides in Christ obeys him (John 15:10) and will "walk as Jesus did."
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum