5:16 Club
March 28, 2024, 04:15:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 2: 7 - 8

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 2: 7 - 8  (Read 1146 times)
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:49:44 am »

When I first read these verses this morning, I was like, "What?  John is contradicting himself, and I don't even know what he's talking about!"  Maybe I'm the only one that felt that way...

Then I remembered the importance of examining the surrounding verses for context... In this case verses 7 and 8 belong with 9 - 11.  The new and old command John is referring to is to love God and your neighbor.  How is this command both old and new?

Old command since the beginning:
Leviticus 19:18: "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

Deuteronomy 6:5: "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

New command since the beginning of Jesus' ministry:
John 13:34: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."

Jesus called it a new command when he gave it to his disciples, reiterating its importance.

On another note, I love the encouragement that John offers in the midst of his tough words!  He tells us in verse 8 that the truth of God's command is seen in us!  He says that "the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining."  How important those words are to remember when it feels like we Christians can't make any headway in this dark, dark world.  Sometimes it feels like we're paddling upstream all the time.  His words are a good reminder that all hope is not lost for those who know God.  He will come again; He will be glorified.  It is HIS battle, not ours, and He will reign victorious! 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

HisBeloved

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »

This is what God showed me today. I apologize for the use of "you". I was writing it to myself and didn't take the time to change it, as my daughter just woke up. But I wanted to share anyway, so hopefully no one will be offended. Cheesy

Obedience is not new to you. It was expected from the beginning. The Lord has always wanted obedience, not sacrifice (1 Sam. 15:22). He has always expected us to do what He has commanded. This is not the first time you have heard this so don’t act shocked. But John emphasizes that this is a further commandment; since Jesus has now come, we have more light, more understanding of how to keep those commandments that we have had from the beginning. No longer are we seeing through a glass darkly (1 Cor. 13:12), but now we see in the light of His glory and the finished work on the cross.
Report Spam   Logged
BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:50 am »

One thing that keeps coming up in so many different places for me is love. And, again, John talks about it here. The new commandment is love. Love reached its fullest through Christ...He demonstrated true love by coming here and dying for all of us. I am to follow His example and love people. This is how they see Him in my life. It sounds so easy, but sometimes its very difficult. One of my New Year's resolutions is to love my family, no strings attached. I know that sounds crazy and its not that I DON'T love them....but I tend to take for granted of my grandmothers; or not have grace for my brothers and their wives; or not have enough time for them. So my conviction is to love them as Christ does...not how I think they should be loved....but love them and see them through His eyes.
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum