5:16 Club
March 19, 2024, 01:29:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Guarding our tongues

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guarding our tongues  (Read 2063 times)
Robin

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:36:52 am »

One of the top ways to bless our husband (Proverbs 31:12) and not to be poison to his bones is to guard our tongues.  We need to be sure that we are not nagging our husbands and that when we do open our mouths it is with wisdom and kindness.  Our tone of voice is important to guard, too.   I know I have tried to say the right thing before, but with a wrong tone of voice and it ruined what I was trying to say. 

We can pray for God's help and ask Him to give us wisdom and discernment in this area. 
Here are several verses concerning speech that can give us direction and help.

Proverbs 31:26
James 3:8-10
Ephesians 4:15
Colossians 3:8
Proverbs 15:1
Proverbs 12:18-19
Ephesians 4:29
Ecclesiastes 10:12
Psalms 34:12-14

Blessings on your journey,
Robin

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:49 am »

Robin, thank you so much for this reminder!  The tone of voice thing is SO important - I always seem to sound harsh and it is a real weakness of mine. 

Thank you also for compiling a list of verses - I think I need to memorize some of them!
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
Lisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:15:18 am »

Mmm-hmm.

My tongue is like a wildfire that is out of control!  Definitely my biggest problem, and the most difficult to tame.

Thank you for the verses!  I will be posting these around my house - and my heart.
Report Spam   Logged
ourdailychocolate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:47 am »

I apparently have a real problem with my tone. The Hubs always says I sound to mean and angry. 45% of the time I am not, but you do see my real issue here... Thank you for this reminder and the verses!
Report Spam   Logged
Apryll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:05:11 am »

Oh ladies.  This is something I've been struggling with.  In fact I just started doing the book "The Love Dare", have ya'll heard of it or doing it?  The very 1st day was to not say anything negative to your spouse.  I did so horribly that I decided I should maybe park on the 1st day and focus on my words and tone.  I was so excited that on Friday I'd made it a full 24 hours without saying anything negative.  And then yesterday I blew it...again...I'm thankful for grace. So, I'm slowly but surely going to make my way through the love dare.  At this pace it might take years instead of 40 days. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:18:39 pm »

Our small group is not doing The Love Dare, but the Fireproof marriage study.  I am really looking forward to it!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum