5:16 Club
March 28, 2024, 11:52:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 2:9-11

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 2:9-11  (Read 1510 times)
HisBeloved

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:32:31 pm »

I didn't see one posted already, so I hope it's okay that I started one myself.

Here's what I gleaned from today's reading.

Just because we confess to being Christians, doesn’t make it so. Just like claiming that you are a fish, doesn’t make you sprout gills and fins. Being a Christian means doing the work. Not works for salvation, but works that show we are abiding in Christ. The Christian’s life is about evidence. Our faith is the evidence of something we can’t see with our eyes; God, His Son, Jesus and the finished work of the cross. It is the very fiber of what we hope for. And the only way to see our faith, is by others watching what we do; how we treat our fellow believers, how we treat those outside the Church, whether we show love to our families, etc...

The only way to keep from stumbling a brother is by abiding in Christ. If we are abiding in Christ, there is no darkness in us. We still sin and still need a savior to rescue us from that sin but we do not live a lifestyle of sin. If our lifestyle is one of sin, what proof do we have of our salvation? Our faith should be shown by our works (James 2:18) and if we are in the light as His is the light, we will not dwell in darkness. But if we lack the works by which others may see the fruit of the light dwelling in us, then is the light truly there or are we fooling ourselves?

Sin blinds our eyes to the fact that we are sinning. A sinner doesn’t know that he is a sinner until the light is turned on around him and shows him just how dirty he is. A sinner in their natural state does not wander around lamenting their state of sin and wretchedness. It is only when Jesus is revealed to us that we can see just what and who we really are. We need Him to hold up that mirror of righteousness and light so we will know ourselves. That is why we have to ask Him like King David did, to search our hearts and see if there be any wicked way in us (Ps. 139:23-24). Without His revelation, we wouldn’t even know that much.   
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BethF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:43:29 am »

Here we are again with darkness Smiley Its interesting that its so plainly written out and that I still struggle with it. If we hate our brother (another fellow believer) we are walking in darkness. I can't think of someone that I would say that I hate, but I know there are people that do get on my nerves....and the way that I treat or react to them isn't how Christ would. If I say I am walking in the light and treat people this way, it opposes Christ's character...it opposes His teaching, which opposes His word. If that is the case, then I am living contradictory to Him and His word...therefore, I am walking in darkness. Its easy to say that we are doing something....but watching actions is so much more important. Its easy to say that we believe God can do anything, but in the midst of crisis we sometimes have to remind ourselves that He is in control and knows what is going on. Same with walking in the light....its easy for me to say that I am, but do my actions show that I truly follow His word? Nelson's commentary says that the "darkness has blinded him" in verse 11 is to have lost spiritual perspective. I am convicted to search myself and make sure I haven't lost spiritual perspective.
Report Spam   Logged

~BethF
RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:58:08 am »

Sorry that I haven't been posting much, gals.  I have been overrun with people in the last few day and have not had much time to post.  That said, I am still staying up with everyone, just quietly! lol

The word is very clear and very convicting today. 

If you don't love your brother, even if you say that you are walking in the light, you are truly walking in darkness.

I was reading an article of a very good friend the other day and she commented on how her unconfessed sin hinders her prayer life.  She began to also suggest that if her prayer life is hindered then her prayers for the lost, the sick, the hurting, her family, etc. are not being answered.  She wondered if she was hindering others' salvation, health, healing, etc. by keeping unconfessed sin.

Love our brother is, I believe, pivotal in our continued relationship with the Lord.

It isn't an option.

I can't just decide that I love these people in the body and not those.

If I do, then I have certainly been bliinded by the Enemy and I have lost my effectiveness in my daily witness and in my prayer life.

Wow!
Report Spam   Logged
m.curran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:00:54 pm »

Ohh... I like the notion of "spiritual perspective" to explain darkness.  It is so easy for me to have my worldly perspective on life so I definitely want to aim to have a spiritual perspective instead.  Always asking myself "Does this have eternal value or worth?"  The most difficult part is when I am in darkness, I don't always realize it or I justify it.  The more we walk with God, the more we want to, but the opposite can be true as well and I know there have been times in my life where I continued to walk in darkness because I wanted to... I didn't want to make that CHOICE to let Christ be the center of my life and decisions.
Report Spam   Logged
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:02:18 am »

Some translations use the words "fellow Christian" instead of brother because it is believed that John was speaking about brothers in Christ, not just neighbors and blood relatives.  To me, this is important because sometimes as Christians we show the least amount of love and grace to our sinning Christian brothers and sisters.

One thing that I keep thinking over and over as I read these verses is about how we as a Christian community act towards people who sin.  I think about our response to the homosexual community or even the way we respond to people who disagree with our political views.  I was so convicted during the presidential election to guard my tongue and not allow my political views to hinder the love I showed to others.  It really hurt my heart to see Christians with the best intentions spewing hatred.  Even posting a thousand articles about why certain candidates weren't doing God's will really rubbed me the wrong way.  All I could think was, "That isn't love.  Whether they are right or wrong, they are not going about it the way God would want them to."  I am not guilt-free on this, either.  There are people in my life who claim to know Jesus but still make bad choices, and I judge them or act self-righteous and try to convict them.  I go about it all wrong.  Sometimes knowing where that line is between grace and conviction is one of the hardest things as a Christian.  Or maybe it isn't even a line.  Maybe it's not either / or...  Anyway, I struggle with it all the time.
Report Spam   Logged
swatson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:39:18 pm »

www.soniclight.com
Notes on 1 John 2008 Edition by Dr. Thomas L. Constable

The fact that God has removed the penalty for our sins at conversion (1 Cor. 6:11; Eph. 1:7; 4:32; Col. 2:13) does not remove the necessity of confessing our sins frequently. Again, the issue is not acceptance by God but fellowship with God.

"Sin interrupts fellowship but cannot change relationship."

"The status just described is analogous to God's full acceptance of Israel, as expressed in Balaam's inspired
utterance: 'He has not observed iniquity in Jacob, nor has He seen wickedness in Israel' (Numbers 23:21). Yet, on a practical level, Israel was full of failures!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John is speaking to believers about hatred.  There have been times in my Christian life where I have struggled with bitterness and hatred towards another believer.  It was during that time in my life when things seemed out of whack and I stumbled, letting unwholemsome talk come out of my mouth, being physically affected by my bitterness.  It wasn't until I confronted this person and did a whole lot of praying and forgiving on my part, that the bitterness has died and a sweetness is growing in this relationship, that could have only happened through the power of God!!! 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum