5:16 Club
March 29, 2024, 08:58:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 2: 12 - 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 2: 12 - 14  (Read 1082 times)
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:11:58 am »

These verses probably won't get a lot of attention because they aren't huge verses for personal application.  However, they are important because they offered more comfort and encouragement to discouraged believers, frustrated by controversy in their Christian community.  After a little research I learned a few things I thought were interesting: 

1.  Some translations set these verses off like a song or poem because it could possibly be that this was some type of familiar hymn or creed that John was reciting for encouragement.  If this is the case, he would have been doing it because the actual content is encouraging but also because reciting creeds (Apostles creed, Lord's prayer, etc.) has a comforting way of bringing us back to the basics.

2. Some people argue that John is addressing three different groups in the church based on spiritual maturity (children, elders - as in more mature, not a governing group, - and young men).  Others argue that "children" refers to the whole church while the other two are the young and old in the church.  It isn't really important, but these are two different ideas about what he was talking about.

3. The repetition of "because you have known him who is from the beginning" may have different refrences.  In verse 13 he could be referring back to verse 12, which speaks of Jesus.  In verse 14 he could be referring back to the end of 13, where he speaks of the Father.  So perhaps it isn't just redundant but actually has different meanings.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:52:28 am by MelissaR » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Angela

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:03 am »

I love this verse as I read it yesterday. It helped me remember:

1. My sins are forgiven

2. The battle over the evil one is done.

3. I have known Christ from the beginning.

4. I am strong.

5. God LIVES in me. (Isn't that awesome to think about).

Blessings~ Angela
Report Spam   Logged
swatson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:38:54 am »

www.soniclight/com
Notes on 1 John 2008 Edition by Dr. Thomas L. Constable

p.20
It seems best to conclude that John used these three stages of life to describe qualities typical of each age group that ought to characterize all believers. In other words, all the titles refer to the entire readership from various points of view.

On pp. 21-22
John strengthened the sense of progress in these verses. He used present
tense verbs in the first set of sentences (vv. 12-13b) that emphasize
ongoing action. Then he used aorist tense verbs in the second set (vv. 13c-
14) that point to the end product, spiritual maturity.

In this section John was not saying that his readers were all immature or all mature. He
was acknowledging their spiritual development to encourage them to press on to know
the Lord better and to pursue more intimate fellowship with Him.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum