5:16 Club
April 19, 2024, 07:12:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 3: 1 - 3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 3: 1 - 3  (Read 927 times)
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:16 am »

"The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him."  This verse particularly struck me this morning because I just had a visit with a good friend and realized that as much as she knows me, she does not understand me because she does not understand Christ.  We have been friends for such a long time, and I have always known that she is not a committed born-again Christian, but my understanding was always just that she hadn't made the commitment to live for Christ, even though she believed in God and Jesus.  In other words, I always thought she was on the fence, so I hoped that one day she would tip the right way.  However, we had a discussion that was difficult and awkward this past weekend, and she told me that she doesn't believe the Bible is literal, that "good" people go to heaven, and that there are many paths to salvation.  I was so upset I could hardly speak.  I kept tripping over my words and probably sounded even a little angry because I was so adamant, and I know I didn't handle the situation as well as I could have.  I think a big part of it is the fact that I was upset that she didn't understand me.  We all long to be understood and known, but "the world does not know us."  This is difficult for me.  I need to remember that there is a built-in friction between Christians and the world, and I need to not feel threatened when those who do not know Christ do not understand me.  And I need to push those selfish feelings aside and concern myself more with the fact that those people need Jesus!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AmyS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 01:43:26 pm »

Thanks Melissa for sharing that.  I have the same struggle with my very own sister.  It is a battle within to come to the place of accepting that she cannot truly KNOW me until she abides in HIM.  I am moving back to the West Coast in 2 weeks (of course along with my husband and 2 precious little ones) and I will, once again, be near my sister.  Your entry today has reminded me that I need to love my sister without the expectation that she will understand or agree with me.  As I abide in Christ (as John has been talking about) His perfect love will flow out of me.  I believe that Christ's love, through us, will compel people and draw them to the Lord.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum