5:16 Club
April 19, 2024, 01:00:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 4:1-3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 4:1-3  (Read 1002 times)
Angela

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:40:10 am »

After spending time with these verses this morning it makes me think about the last Christian books I bought to read. So many of them I do not know about the authors true beliefs but buy them because I am interested in the topic. I guess this is where I have to know what I believe in firmly and ask for God's guidance so I am not lead or filled with wrong belief. One thing for sure I have learned from you wonderful ladies is the importance of researching the verses for meaning from a variety of sources to help me clarify and understand.

Blessings~
Angela

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:15:29 am »

This is a really interesting point, Angela.  I probably don't know the perspective of all of the Christian authors I have read either (but I doubt that any of the ones I have really read are "antichrists," because they all proclaim Jesus!).  Sometimes I don't agree with everything they say, though, and you're right that we need to use discernment and always go back to the Bible as the source.  The same is definitely true for commentaries about the Bible, as well.  They are not always biblical as much as they are someone's opinion, and it is hard to remember that.  I know that I personally want to believe anyone who has the interest of God at heart.

When I was in college I went on a mission trip where the missionaries there tried to convince all of us students that we needed to pray for the gift of speaking in tongues and try exercising that gift.  Many people including the adult leader who came with us on that trip listened to them because they believed that these people were strong Christians who knew something they didn't.  I was extremely uncomfortable and didn't know why, since I didn't have much biblical knowledge about the subject.  Several years later I sat under a great pastor who dissected the verses in 1 Corinthians about speaking in tongues, and I felt affirmed that the missionaries had been wrong, and I was glad I hadn't caved under the pressure.  Sometimes God puts a "check" in our spirit about things, and I am so grateful for that.  John definitely tells us to use discernment and not be gullible!

Thanks for a really great point!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum