5:16 Club
March 28, 2024, 03:45:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

1 John 3: 19 - 22

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 John 3: 19 - 22  (Read 1241 times)
MelissaR
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:20:45 am »

Okay girls, are you all still with me?  We've waned in our enthusiasm!  Let's encourage each other and keep going strong!!!

I spent a lot of time on these few simple verses this morning.  I found them to be a bit confusing and complicated when I really studied them.  I asked myself what does "This then" mean in vs. 19?  It means what it says at the end of vs. 18: loving with actions and truth...  How does that allow us to rest before God?  We're supposed to feel confident before God when we've done good works?  That's not what the Bible teaches!  And what does vs. 21 mean?  And how do we reconcile vs. 22? 

I found answers in a lot of strange places and it took a lot of hunting.  I found a lot of articles about how relationship with God and love for others are completely linked.  I found a lot of other interesting things too.  It would take forever to write it all down, but if you struggled with these verses like I did, here is a good article that gives you a starting point:

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/1985/487_If_Our_Hearts_Do_Not_Condemn_Us_We_Have_Confidence_Before_God/

If you want or need more, send me a message or let me know in some way.  No pressure... maybe you found answers too, but if you didn't, I'd encourage you to seek them.  And if the verses seemed easy and you glossed over them, I'd encourage you to go back and truly study them.  They're hard!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:15 am »

I'm still here, Melissa.  Thank you for your faithfulness.  I do not know how to start a post and in the last few times have not known what to do.  Blessings, sister for your steadfastness.

In verse 19,

"And by this we know..."

seems to a continuation of verse 18 where we are

"not to love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth."

My translation in 19 says that

"by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him."

I took this to mean that because we are walking in deed and in truth that we can be confident in coming before Him, not being afraid because we have no relationship with Him.

If, in verse 20, we realize that we are not in deed and in truth and our hearts condemn us, we can also rest in the knowledge that God is greater and can cleanse us and bring us back into the light.

In verse 21, if we do not have known sin, we can come confidently into His presence knowing that what we ask we will receive if we ask in Him will. 

I love verse 22 because as a mother, I love to reward my children when they do right.  Even if it is just with a smile or an encouraging word.  How much more does the Lord want to bless His children when they obey Him and love His creations.

Ladies,
     Would you mind coming to my blog today or whenever you get a chance and read about what is happening in my life right now.  I could really use your prayers!

Blessings to you all,
RobinM
http://hasanyoneseenmypurse.blogspot.com
Report Spam   Logged
RobinM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:20 am »

By the way, Melissa, I love that resource library as well!  The article was very clearly started.  Not like my last post!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Angela

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:14 am »

Melissa I am still here and so encouraged by your posting. I read through the article you listed and have scribbled notes all over my verses I printed out (thanks again).

I started classes last week for my masters and am still trying to get everything organized.

Blessings!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum