5:16 Club
March 19, 2024, 04:43:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Week 1 - Discuss Habakkuk Overview Here!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 - Discuss Habakkuk Overview Here!  (Read 2847 times)
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »

Hey gals!  How did this week go for you?  Were you able to spend some time with God each day?

I'll be back a little later to discuss with you all - my poor baby (three year old) is throwing up and sick so I can't "talk" now!)

I'll be putting this coming week's discussin questions up later!
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jacquie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:39:58 am »

Good Morning Everyone.  I am brand new here to this site and feel confused.  I am excited to be studying the Book of Habakkuk with you - but I am not sure I know how this works.  I logged in this morning at 5:16 and do not see any posts for today (4/9 - Thursday - discussion day).  I clicked on the Habakkuk Bible Study - should I be elsewhere?  Please help me find you.  Thank you.

Jacquie
Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:25:49 pm »

Jacquie, you are in the right place...usually people just pop in and out throughout the day!  I'm wondering where everyone is myself!  Many people "signed up" so maybe they just wanted to read what "everyone" else wrote!

Or maybe they are just sick, like I am!  My babes have a stomach bug and I got it this morning, that's why I haven't been on today!  I am loving the book of Habakkuk though and have lot's to say about the overview...I'm going to hop on later when I'm feeling better to share my "findings." 

Okay, for all of those who are just peeking in and not actually writing - make yourself known!  Smiley 
Report Spam   Logged

"I don't claim to have found the truth but I know it has found me."  Sara Groves
Becky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:37:04 pm »

I've been wanting to post all day, but I just haven't had the time. Hopefully after church tonight I can get on and post my thoughts.

Oh and if anyone if interested. Mark Driscoll of Mars Hills Church has his sermons on Habakkuk available on his website.
Report Spam   Logged
Christin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »

I'm here. I guess I was just waiting for the discussion questions, ha! I did read the book in it's entirety. To me, it seems simple and very in depth at the same time (does that make sense?) I look forward to digging into it more!

Sarah Mae, I hope you're feeling better!
Report Spam   Logged

~Christin
Angela

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »

Better late than never I guess! I have had a tough couple days as a dear friends husband is very critical. God is amazing as there were so many people who came together in prayer for her!!

Below is what I wrote in my journal after I read the entire book on April 7th.

Today is the first day I am reading Habakkuk with the 5:16 girls. I would not have chose this book of the bible as I go for those books that are easy for me. BUT this is going to be a good study. This week we were to read throug the entire book and answer questions Sarah posted. I am finding already content that challenges me and revives me.

The book is written by Habakkuk and was written to Judah (the southern kingdom) and all of God's people. It was written between 612 BC and 589 BC. The setting is during a time when Babylon is becoming a dominant world powere and Judah would soon feel their destructive forces. Background hx shows us the last four kings had been wicked and rejected God. The oppressed their people. This was a time of fear, oppression, persecution, lawlessness, and immorality.

I must remember God is in total control and is totally just, so we do not need to question "why". We need to have faith he is in control and one day eveil will be destroyed.

God keeps us rooted and grounded. Whatever troubles we face we are saved and loved by God. Whether we pass or the world passes this is not our home or where our security rests (from YouVersion)

Memory verse Habakkuk 3:19
Report Spam   Logged
AmyS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:58 am »

I'm here too!
Well, it's 10:30PM my time... and early tomorrow morning for many of you!  I finally had a moment to sit down with a hot chai latte and jot down a few of my thoughts.

I'm so excited to really dig into this book.  Honestly, the first two chapters were tough for me to get through BUT then chapter 3 came along.  I loved reading how Habakkuk began to rejoice even though he hadn't seen God's promise fulfilled yet. 

I'm going to be memorizing Chapter 3, verse 2.
"Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord.  Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy."  This is the cry of my heart!

Oh, and about his name... I found this quote and I though it had some good insight!
"The name Habakkuk is an unusual one of uncertain meaning. Some feel it comes from the Hebrew word Habaq which means "to embrace" --- thus, his name would signify an "ardent embrace." "At the end of his book this name becomes appropriate because Habakkuk chooses to cling firmly to (embrace) God regardless of what happens to his nation --- 3:16-19" (Expanded Open Bible). Jerome preferred the idea of embracing so as to wrestle, "because he wrestled with God." Martin Luther seemed to favor this idea, saying, "It is certainly not unfitting, for in this little book we see a man, in deadly earnest, wrestling with the mighty problem of theodicy (the divine justice) in a topsy-turvy world."
Al Maxey

Good night... or morning to you all Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Jacquie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:08:35 am »

This is the first book of the prophets that I am studying.  It is not easy so I am grateful for all of your input and to learn with all of you.  I can't help but think each time I am reading this book that there are so many serious comparisons to what is going on in our own country right now.  I am learning that our spiritual eyes need to be opened and our hearts prepared every day for his purposes.  I believe the status of our economy right now has good purpose in bringing our nation back to His evident truths and our priorities must be aligned with His and not of waste.

I wish I understood the history of this book better.  Where is the modern day Babylonia?  Honestly, I have been reading Genesis through Joshua right now and have not read anything about Babylonia yet and do not know much about it.  Was Habakkuk an Israelite?
Report Spam   Logged
Christin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:58:23 am »

Great thoughts Amy. Habakkuk is [sort of] speaking my heart in this book, chap. 1. I'm not sure I could be so forward, lol.  In the days were living in, there is so much uncertainty, I have to take it one day, one step, at a time. I pray I become like Habakkuk...that I can trust God better in such evil times and know He has a perfect will for me - for us, as Christians.
Report Spam   Logged

~Christin
HeathersHodgepodge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:12:36 pm »

Hello, Everyone! I checked in early yesterday, but I didn't see anyone else's posts about the Thursday questions. Now that other people have answered, I'll take my turn.  Smiley
1. Who was the book written to? Habakkuk doesn't have a specified audience. The book reads as a dialogue between Habakkuk and God. Habakkuk never addresses the people directly throughout the 3 chapters.
2. When was it written? Habakkuk was written around 610-605 B.C.
3. What is the setting?  What was going on during this time in history? Habakkuk lived in Judah during a time of great rebelling against God. Babylon was just coming into power. Habakkuk was a contemporary of Jeremiah.
4. Just for fun, what does the name Habakkuk mean? Habakkuk means "embrace."
Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:08:32 pm »

Wow - I loved reading through all your insights and comments on Habakkuk!  I know I am going to learn so much!  By the way, I am so sorry I didn't participate on the first discussion day - a stomach virus went through our house so I was out of commission!  But, I am back!

Here is basically what was going on during the time Habakkuk wrote his book:
As you all have said, he was living during a time when the kingdom was broken into parties and factions.  He lived in Judah (the southern kingdom) during the rign of Jehoiakin (who only was king for about three months b/c Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians).  The nation had become corrupt and Habakkuk doesn't understand why God would allow the wickedness -the injustice is committed by his own people (Judah's last four kings were wicked men who rejected God and oppressed their own people).  Habakkuk is torn b/c on one hand he doesn't want God to tolerate wickedness, but on the other hand the punishment that God says He is going to give (allow the Babylonians to crush Israel) is almost too much.  He sees violence and wickedness done by Israel, and he sees the same against Israel. 

I am drawn to this book b/c of the real emotions, questions, and fears.  Habakkuk is a real person asking God what so many of us do, "why?"  I hate to see evil...I especially hate that God doesn't stop it right now.  If He does though, will I be like Habakkuk, saying "in your wrath have mercy..."? 

"Where is babylonia?"

"Babylonia (Babylonian Bâbili,"gate of God"; Old Persian Babirush),Was the ancient country of Mesopotamia, known originally as Sumer and later as Sumer and Akkad, lying between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, south of modern Baghdâd, Iraq." (http://history-world.org/babylonia.htm)

"Habakkuk was an Israelite?"
Yes - an Israelite is a native or inhabitant of ancient Israel.  (A Jewish person is a member of the people descended from the ancient Hebrews and marked by adherence to Judaism - today’s Jewish people are primarily descended from the Southern Kingdom of Judah where Habakkuk lived).

I'll see you next Thursday!  (Lurkers, come out and join us!!!)  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

mgills

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04:38 pm »

Brand new here, but I'll jump right into this book if this is the one that is still being discussed!  Let me know:)
Hugs,
Michelle
Report Spam   Logged
sarahmae
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:52 pm »

Yep, it is!  Join us tomorrow!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum