5:16 Club
April 20, 2024, 05:12:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Week Two (4/9-4/16) Discussion Questions - Habakkuk 1:1-4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Week Two (4/9-4/16) Discussion Questions - Habakkuk 1:1-4  (Read 2603 times)
mgills

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:44 am »

What stands out to you or speaks to when you read these verses?  The boldness of this man to demand from God an answer for what he (Habakkuk) must be enduring.

How does this prophecy begin in verse one?  Compare a couple of translations.
In the Quest Study Bible it states:  "The oracle that Habakkuk the prophet received.
In King James:  The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see.

I found it interesting the word difference.  The definition of oracle is "A divine utterance delivered to man, usually in answer to a request for guidance." (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)

Burden is "In both the King James Version and the Revised Version (British and American) massa’ is translated "burden," as applied to certain prophetic utterances; but both the American Revised Version, margin and the Revised Version, margin have "oracle." Examples are Isa 13:1; 14:28, and often; Jer 23:33,36,38, no marginal reading; Eze 12:10; Na 1:1; Hab 1:1; Zec 9:1; 12:1; Mal 1:1. As was natural under the circumstances, such oracles usually denounced judgment upon place or people. Hence, probably the translation "burden." But some of these prophetic utterances do not contain denunciation or threat (Zec 12). The passage in Jer, moreover, implies that the prophet used the term in the sense of "oraele," for scoffers are reproved for perverting the word and giving it the meaning "burden." Massa’, therefore, means something taken up with solemnity upon the lips, whether threatening or not, and the rendering, "burden," ought most likely to be given up."  But when I think of the word burden its to be laden upon, so this was a great way to see an alternative in word useage.

What was the main question Habakkuk had?  Why had God not rescued him from a life surrounded by sin.

Read Psalm 74:10 and 79:5.  How does the Psalmist appeal to God in 74:22-23 and 79:14?  In 74:22-23 The psalmist is asking God how long He will allow them to dishonor Him.  Bold statement.  And there isn't a 79:14....

Stopping here because my little girl woke up:)  I'll finish when I come back at naptime!!

What does this teach us about the right way to handle our questions and struggles?
What did Jesus teach his disciples about this in Luke 18:1-8?  What should we do in times when it seems like God will not hear and act?
What is one of the reasons for this situation according to verse 4?
What can give us the confidence we need when we face such difficulties?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum